Sunday 1 March 2015

Bottom-Of-The-Fridge-Soup


We’ve all been there.  “There” is in front of the fridge, standing in the spotlight which always comes on when the fridge door is opened, wondering what on earth can be made with the odds and ends.  You know, the half onion, last Sundays leftovers, those few courgettes which someone gave you and you haven’t got a clue what to do with them – add your own variation.  I’m sure you’ve got a few.

“Bottom-Of-The-Fridge-Soup” features in my diet fairly frequently.  You won’t find it in any recipe book because it’s different every time it is made.  And, let’s be honest, it sounds pretty awful.


Well, not any more.  From now on, in this household at least, it will be known as Cheeky Bottom Soup.  Much more inviting.

9 comments:

  1. Some of my favorite combinations were from using up the oddities in the fridge and I should more often. Odditie soup doesn't sound better but I like your new phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup, stew, quiche and omelettes are how I use up bits of this n that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I normally manage to get rid of most things by the end of the week but there's invariably a few sticks of limp celery. Do you have any exciting ideas for this? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to use all the odd bits of veg into a soup loosely based on a minestrone recipe. This also uses up the last bits of bacon as well as celery as part of the base of onions and carrots as well as hefty slices of white cabbage. I love hard cabbage but find at this time of year it can hang around later in the year it disappears into coleslaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It features regularly in our house too, my hubby hates courgettes but chopped small into soup he eats them....if only he knew :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the name Cheeky bottom soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I enjoyed this post. Just the other day I cleaned the bottom of my fridge, it wasn't pleasant. Some of the "stuff" was ok for a stir fry, the rest went in the bin!
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Echoing PJ! "Cheeky bottom" soup is such a great name! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to make this soup today -- busy tidying up the pantry and the fridge -- a job I really don't enjoy

    ReplyDelete